Skip to main content

AS ELUSIVE AS MY MEMORY By: Afolabi Aderonke



It is as elusive as it sounds,my memory
Like a nonexistent entity that seems so surreal
Almost like a dream that evades me.
The more I try to reach for it,
The more it seems to stray
Further afar from me
Almost like it doesn't exist...

So frustrating it is,
Each time I think, I am close to reaching 
Close enough to clutch it;
It disperses and then disappears
Like it doesn't exist, yet it exists
As if palpable, I claw in my mind's eye, an imaginary hand around it
BUT only to find empty, my palms.

My features distorts, compelled by flimsy feelings, paranoia ergo persistent nag
Scrambling, scratching for what I seem to have lost but still have
Seeking,searching with my mind's eye
Consciously unaware, anxious to reach
Feeling it,feeling lost
All at one same time.

Each try inures to failure
An overwhelming acute sense of loss
Fills me to the brim of my entirely
My heart's content abounds in apprehension
Anxious excitement comes unbounded
Contending to grasp; Yet disappointment serves disdain on a cold platter.

My memory so elusive, it seizes to exist
The more I try to reach for it,
The more it disperses and disappears.
Each time I reach for that bit,
Every time, in disarray, it leaves me
Trying to find it but alas gone, yet not
Instead only leaves merry imprints of tortuous teasing in its wake.

A sinking mirage! A skeptical sham! A daunting prospect!
Is all that describes my memory
Or what's left of it
For it seems flummoxed, perplexed as it is
To what it is supposed to be
And what it is supposed to be, I know not.
Truly indeed, it is naught but an illusion?

Pessimism rears it ugly self
Arms akimbo that perhaps I may never actualize
My heart denies such flummery
Perhaps I might again, finally grasp
Ahold my dear elusive mirage
Which seems to have no qualms 
Teasing me painfully so.

Perhaps, as I least expect, in some unseen future
Would seem preposterous
To think my elusive mirage unobscured
And my mind aligned with translucent clarity
Seeming as though it was always there
BUT, until then my alien torment unending...


©Afolabi Aderonke

Artwork by; Cindee  Klement 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Echoes of My Soul By: Similafleur

Painted their soul with my flowers. Left my prints on their canvas. Their rough lines, I made into edges Cracks I filled with my energy. I wanted them to be art. I made them my art. I gave too much. They left me empty. ©Similafleur

Touching Story

     A cat was so faithful    that the woman    could leave her baby    with it & go out to    attend other matters.    She always returned    to find the child    soundly asleep with    the cat faithfully    watching over him.    One day something    tragic happened. The    woman as usual, left    the baby in the "hands"    of this faithful cat    and went out shopping.    When she returned,    she discovered rather    a nasty scene, there    was a total mess.    The baby's cot was    dismantled; his nappies    and clothes torn to    shreds with blood    stains all over the    bedroom where she    left the child & the cat.    Shocked, the woman    waile...

SEX-ESCAPADE

          Relationship goals to some is dating with fine sex, but some of us dont take our time to check our partners before going into "it".  Sexually transmitted diseases are flying around now and it’s like most of us don’t even pay attention to them. Sad, but had to be said. Tunde started dating Nina. She was beautiful, fair skinned and petite. "Portable babe", he called her whenever he boasts to his friends about her. Little did he know what he was getting himself into. He said she was so free with him, gave him anything he wanted. In his mind, he thought he was using her, but he noticed she kept coming back for more which fuelled his male ego. In our brother’s mind, he was good.  On the 14th of December, 2016,  she left him without a word. He called her, texted her, but she did not reply and he continued with his life and he dated no one else. Two months later, his brother had an accident and needed blood. Of course, he ...