Skip to main content

Lost Images (For Ashay) By: Dilip Chitre




I am backing home where you died.
One year later, to find
Changes that mask our surrender
To the inevitability of life.
I remember my Ambulance Ride
With my friend whom you called Daddy.
It took me a whole year
To understand my loss.
A lifetime is not enough
To realize what it means to be human:
We waste what we are given
To crave for what we cannot have.
This much I know by now
As a maker of images:
A face erased in front
Of the mirror that is our Lord.
Vithoba was seen by Tukaram
Reflected in the deep end,
Where the river was its own source
And the ocean that waits for it.
Perhaps when you struggled for breath
As you finally choked to death,
You tried to forgive your parent
And the world he created with you.
And so, finally, you grew
Up to surpass your father--
Becoming a reflected sky
In the water we call life.
The first picture I took of you
In the Princess Tsehai Hospital--
In Addis Ababa, Ethiopia
In the last week of June, 1961:
Sister Aiyyalij held you in her arms;
And her hand was on your covered breast.
It showed the finger on her ring
As large as your closed eyes.
Your struggle for a breath
Began before you were born,
And on December 4, 1984
In Bhopal it all came back.
You struggled for breath all your life,
Fighting for life, and looking for its sign--
An autograph of awareness,
The reassurance of your own being.
You don't know that you've left behind
Images that tell, images that haunt,
Images in which others will find
The reflection that fills God's mirror.
Where the Lord Himself twists and turns
In agony that's the other side of bliss.
His reverse is us, his children,
A family that He craves to own.
And, in the end, there's no loss,
And there's no gain either
We neither live nor die
In the endless space of why.


Artwork by: Akintobi Akintayo

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

UNDERSTANDING PERIHELION IN RELATION TO OZONE DEPLETION By: Oluwajimi.J.Thorpe

As we have moved into the first month of the year, we must have been noticing some changes in our environment e.g. the degree of the increase of solar radiation received on a daily base on the surface of the Earth, especially  the degree of solar radiation received in the equator.  Geographically this period is referred to as the PERIHELION, it’s gotten from two Greek words ‘’PERI’’ meaning ‘’CLOSE’’ and ‘’HELION’’ meaning ‘’SUN’’, by my own definition perihelion can be defined as period in which Earth is at the closest to the sun, this period the Earth tend to receive more ultra-violent radiation due to the closeness to the sun.   The PERIHELION starts from Jan 3 to about June, the temperature during this season is always on the high side, Some of the features is that we tend to have shorter night and longer day, high temperature (high sweating rate) etc.   Due to the effect of climate change on the environment, especially the depletion of the Ozone...

WHY I AM RUNNING FOR PRESIDENT, BY PROF OSINBAJO

 STATEHOUSE PRESS RELEASE  My experiences, insights, opportunities must be used for Nigeria and Nigerians, VP adds In the past seven years, I have served as Vice President under a true Nigerian patriot, a servant of the nation in war and peace, and a man of integrity, President Muhammadu Buhari.  We have, together, worked through some of the most difficult times in the history of our Nation, but we have remained focused on securing the country, providing infrastructure and growing our economy.  As stipulated by the Nigerian Constitution, our tenure will end next year. In this period of seven years, I have served the government in several capacities, and have, at the direction of Mr. President, represented our country in sensitive high level international engagements. I have been to practically all local governments in Nigeria. I have been in markets, factories, schools, and farms. I have been in agricultural, mining and oil producing communities; in the Delta, in Keb...

LADY LAZARUS By:Sylvia Plath

I have done it again. One year in every ten I manage it---- A sort of walking miracle, my skin Bright as a Nazi lampshade, My right foot A paperweight, My face a featureless, fine Jew linen. Peel off the napkin 0 my enemy. Do I terrify?---- The nose, the eye pits, the full set of teeth? The sour breath Will vanish in a day. Soon, soon the flesh The grave cave ate will be At home on me And I a smiling woman. I am only thirty. And like the cat I have nine times to die. This is Number Three. What a trash To annihilate each decade. What a million filaments. The peanut-crunching crowd Shoves in to see Them unwrap me hand and foot The big strip tease. Gentlemen, ladies These are my hands My knees. I may be skin and bone, Nevertheless, I am the same, identical woman. The first time it happened I was ten. It was an accident. The second time I meant To last it out and not come back at all. I rocked shut As a seashell. They had to call and...