Skip to main content

SONG OF SORROW By: Koffi Awoonor



Dzogbese Lisa has treated me thus

It has led me among the sharps of the forest

Returning is not possible

And going forward is a great difficulty

The affairs of this world are like the chameleon faeces

Into which I have stepped

When I clean it cannot go.



I am on the world's extreme corner,

I am not sitting in the row with the eminent

But those who are lucky

Sit in the middle and forget

I am on the world's extreme corner

I can only go beyond and forget.



My people, I have been somewhere

If I turn here, the rain beats me

If I turn there the sun burns me

The firewood of this world

Is for only those who can take heart

That is why not all can gather it.

The world is not good for anybody

But you are so happy with your fate;

Alas! the travelers are back

All covered with debt.



Something has happened to me

The things so great that I cannot weep;

I have no sons to fire the gun when I die

And no daughter to wail when I close my mouth

I have wandered on the wilderness

The great wilderness men call life

The rain has beaten me,

And the sharp stumps cut as keen as knives

I shall go beyond and rest.

I have no kin and no brother,

Death has made war upon our house;



And Kpeti's great household is no more,

Only the broken fence stands;

And those who dared not look in his face

Have come out as men.

How well their pride is with them.

Let those gone before take note

They have treated their offspring badly.

What is the wailing for?

Somebody is dead. Agosu himself

Alas! a snake has bitten me

My right arm is broken,

And the tree on which I lean is fallen.



Agosi if you go tell them,

Tell Nyidevu, Kpeti, and Kove

That they have done us evil;

Tell them their house is falling

And the trees in the fence

Have been eaten by termites;

That the martels curse them.

Ask them why they idle there

While we suffer, and eat sand.

And the crow and the vulture

Hover always above our broken fences

And strangers walk over our portion.

Artwork by; Mander Marathe fine art

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Echoes of My Soul By: Similafleur

Painted their soul with my flowers. Left my prints on their canvas. Their rough lines, I made into edges Cracks I filled with my energy. I wanted them to be art. I made them my art. I gave too much. They left me empty. ©Similafleur

Touching Story

     A cat was so faithful    that the woman    could leave her baby    with it & go out to    attend other matters.    She always returned    to find the child    soundly asleep with    the cat faithfully    watching over him.    One day something    tragic happened. The    woman as usual, left    the baby in the "hands"    of this faithful cat    and went out shopping.    When she returned,    she discovered rather    a nasty scene, there    was a total mess.    The baby's cot was    dismantled; his nappies    and clothes torn to    shreds with blood    stains all over the    bedroom where she    left the child & the cat.    Shocked, the woman    waile...

SEX-ESCAPADE

          Relationship goals to some is dating with fine sex, but some of us dont take our time to check our partners before going into "it".  Sexually transmitted diseases are flying around now and it’s like most of us don’t even pay attention to them. Sad, but had to be said. Tunde started dating Nina. She was beautiful, fair skinned and petite. "Portable babe", he called her whenever he boasts to his friends about her. Little did he know what he was getting himself into. He said she was so free with him, gave him anything he wanted. In his mind, he thought he was using her, but he noticed she kept coming back for more which fuelled his male ego. In our brother’s mind, he was good.  On the 14th of December, 2016,  she left him without a word. He called her, texted her, but she did not reply and he continued with his life and he dated no one else. Two months later, his brother had an accident and needed blood. Of course, he ...